Pages

Thursday 10 July 2014

A Painting Class with Rachel Pedder-Smith

Thanks to Husband for taking care our baby. Hence, I could enjoy my "me time" by joining Rachel Pedder-Smith's workshop. It was held by the Florilegium Society in Sheffield Botanical Garden on Monday, 7 July 2014.

In the beginning, Rachel presented a very interesting slideshow and prints of her works. I was mesmerised mostly by her paintings of the herbarium specimens (dried-pressed plants) of the Kew Garden. They are massive and GRAND (I do mean it when I say grand!). One of them was a 5 meters long. It contained very well composed of 700 specimens of 504 families of the plant kingdom. It was a fascinating assortment, from tiny Amborella (the oldest and most “primitive” plant family) to a leaf of passion fruit that was collected by Charles Darwin himself. She explained that it took 766 days to complete this scientifically accurate and exquisite painting. What a labour of love! *Please check this out to see how fascinating the work.

Rachel did a quick demonstration of painting an Afzelia seed before she gave us 2-3 hours and her favorite paper, Saunders Waterford hot pressed paper, to work on our seeds/pods under her care.

And I painted these.. :)


2 comments:

Inky Leaves said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sounds like it was a lot of fun and very insightful. Rachel is so lovely to be around. I love your work - fantastic.

Eunike Nugroho said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Jessica, indeed. I really looked forward to joining her class. I have admired her works for long time and it was very nice to see them closer.

Thank you for leaving your kind comment :)